A New Entrepreneurial Dynamic: 21st Century Startups and Small BusinessesVersion 1.0
By Gregory Autry and Richard G. Jones Jr.
- New Entrepreneurial Dynamic (NED) is introduced as the core adaptive model for business development. It is fully described early in the book and carried throughout each chapter. NED emphasizes the importance of planning for change, being adaptable and flexible, building dynamic teams, and developing alternative strategies. (Chapter 2 “The New Entrepreneurial Dynamic”)
- Brand building and social media are emphasized as key components for success.
- Unique coverage of the substantial roles of government and the macroeconomy and their impacts on small businesses are explored in depth, such as bailouts, COVID lockdowns, loans, and regulations. (Chapter 15 “The Business Environment and Government”)
- Real-world examples include sidebar interviews and cases that profile a range of small businesses and successful entrepreneurs.
- International perspective equips learners with the knowledge and skills required to succeed in today’s dynamic, interconnected, global business environment.
Supportive Learning Structure
- “Learning Objectives” at the beginning of each main section help guide and focus students’ learning and stimulate student/faculty interactions.
- Short, in-text examples illustrate concepts in context, for example “Opportunity Fail at Xerox” in Section 3.4 “Strategy Analysis Toolkit.”
- “Key Takeaways” at the end of every main section echo and reinforce the section’s “Learning Objectives.”
- Topical sidebars throughout that apply concepts or provide thought exercises such as and “The Harsh Reality of Collecting Accounts Receivable” in Section 13.2 “Financial Accounting,” or “Everything is Sales” in Section 11.4 “Organizing Sales.”
- Case Studies at the end of every chapter apply the concepts discussed in the chapter to a real-world situation. Case-study discussion questions and suggested answer guidelines are included in the instructor’s manual.
- Strong coverage of team building, leading, ethics, pain points, value chain, Porter’s Five Forces, minimum viable product, pros and cons of financing sources, crowd funding, angel financing, venture capital financing, relationship banking, social media, known brands, entrepreneurial thought processes, incubators, dashboards, customer satisfaction, COVID-19 impacts, global manufacturers, regulatory environment, lawsuits, and finance.
A New Entrepreneurial Dynamic: 21st Century Startups and Small Businesses is appropriate for Entrepreneurship, Technology Entrepreneurship, or Small Business courses taught at the undergraduate level at two- and four-year colleges and universities and at the MBA level.
A New Entrepreneurial Dynamic: 21st Century Startups and Small Businesses builds on the most current and relevant thinking in small business education and research. It provides students, aspiring entrepreneurs, and startup founders with the complete base of foundational knowledge required to develop, finance, manage, and operate a small growth or lifestyle business in today’s fast moving and dynamic business environment. This approach will appeal in particular to faculty who have been gathering their own materials because they have had trouble finding an affordable textbook that resonates with students and reflects a modern approach entrepreneurship and small business management.
A New Entrepreneurial Dynamic: 21st Century Startups and Small Businesses is geared to learners who grasp information quickly by consuming information in concise and real-world contexts. Its accessible, learner-centered narrative is built on an innovative entrepreneurship paradigm, the New Entrepreneurial Dynamic (NED), that discourages overreliance on formal business plans and instead focuses on forming winning teams, adaptability, innovation, and alternative strategies. As a result, this book is more in tune with the spirit of modern entrepreneurship that is experimental by nature, more tolerant of risk and failure, and encourages iterative evolution on a day-to-day basis.
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here